Sunday, September 11, 2011

Vegetable Soup

Every Monday night used to be soup night in my house.  My mother would make some kind of soup - chicken, vegetable or bean, it always had an Italian flair to it!  My mom was a wonderful cook and I am glad I am sort of following in her footsteps.    I make chicken soup a lot, but tonight I made an "Italian" vegetable soup.  This one is anything you have on hand and then some!   I started with carrots, onion and potatoes.  Cooked them in a little water.  Added vegetable stock and chicken stock to them.  Brought it to a boil and cut up a zucchini and added cut up cabbage. Last opened up a can of chopped tomatoes.   Let it boil until all the veggies are tender.  I tasted it and something was missing.  I added oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.  Nope,  still not the best.  Well, I found some Worcestershire sauce in my cabinet.  First added a few drops....nothing changed.  Then added about 1/4 cup to the soup and wow,  it now had a great flavor.  I let it cook a little more and served it to my husband.  It was quite a different taste, but a very good taste.  I will definitely do it again for vegetable soup!  Of course soup wouldn't be complete with out a shake or two of parmesan cheese.  Enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment