Here is the recipe:
1 medium eggplant
3 eggs beaten
¼ c parmesian cheese grated
½ c flour
1 ½ c panko breadcrumbs Italian flavored
1 small jar of tomato sauce
1 c water
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
¾ c olive oil
- Peel and slice the eggplant into thin slices
- Lay the slices out on a cookie sheet
- Sprinkle salt on the eggplant
- Take the jar of tomato sauce and mix the whole thing with 1 cup water in a bowl. It needs to be thin.
- Beat the eggs with ¼ c parmesian cheese
- Have 3 dishes ready – flour, egg mixture, bread crumbs
- Rinse the eggplant quickly to remove some of the salt
- Have glass casserole dish ready. Pour a little sauce on bottom.
- Put ½ c olive oil in skillet and heat
- Dip the eggplant slices in flour, egg mixture and then in bread crumbs.
- Fry them in skillet until brown
- Layer them on the bottom of the casserole dish in single layer
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over eggplant
- Ladle sauce over the layer.
- Continue to fry the eggplant and make layers until all cooked up. Add more olive oil as needed.
- Pour sauce over top and more shredded cheese.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly.
Makes about 6 servings. Cook time 35 -45 minutes.
Try this, I'm sure you'll like it! Until next time....mangia!